Friday, February 17, 2006

The Brit Awards

Although I didn't get to watch them, I had a quick look at the results of the 2006 Brit Awards. It made me feel slightly out of touch. I don't know whether this is because I'm not in the UK, so cannot keep up with the latest bands there or whether it's just that I'm getting old. At the end of the day, I don't really give a hoot about the Brits, but let's take a look at some of the winners anyway:

Lamar (British Urban Act)

I've heard Lamar (including live at Party in the Park a couple of years ago). If the award was for Most Formulaic Load Of Old Rubbish, I'd understand. As it is, I don't understand how Lamar can win anything. If The Streets had a more recent album (his last one was released in 2004; the next one isn't due to be released until April 2006), then he would have my vote. Even without The Streets in the picture, there's got to be something out there that is better than Lamar.

James Blunt (British Pop Act)

I have to admit that the only single I know of his is You're Beautiful. This was OK the first few times I heard it, but soon became irritating. The other thing is that I'm not sure that I'd classify James Blunt as "pop".

Coldplay (several awards)

Coldplay is one of those bands that I can objectively see that they're quite good, but they're not really my cup of tea.

Kaiser Chiefs (several awards)

I recently bought their album. It's good, but not as good as The Killers. However, as The Killers aren't British, I'd agree with the Kaiser Chiefs sweeping up a few awards.

Greenday & Madonna (international awards)

The Greenday award is another album that I recently bought. It's good, but I prefer The Killers. As far as Madonna is concerned, I quite like her music, but don't really like the look of her. I've always swayed between liking her and not and I'm currently in a "not" phase. It's not just the whole "mutton dressed as lamb" thing that she's got going on, but upon seeing her performance at Live8 I was embarrassed on her behalf. It really put me off her.

KT Tunstall (British Female Artist)

ditto Coldplay comments

Paul Weller (Outstanding Contribution)

I have to plead ignorance about what his contribution has been to music other than The Jam. The Style Council was rubbish and I lost interest in anything he's done since. Perhaps someone might want to educate me?

Others

The other awards all went to people/groups that I'd never heard of. These are the ones that make me feel most out of touch. These are:

Jack Johnson (International Breakthrough Act)
Kanye West (International Male Solo Artist)
Arctic Monkeys (British Breakthrough Act)
Here's the BBC's Have Your Say Brits comments page.

Brit Awards aside, we recently jumped onto the post-CBB4 bandwagon by buying The Ordinary Boys's album. It's good old fashioned Ska and a good buy.

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

I am so out of touch. Your knowledge is encyclopedic compared to mine. If it weren't for Coldplay I don't think I would have recognized any of those names! (Ok, Madonna and Paul Weller - but that leaves my hipness quotient back in roughly 1985. In fact, Bowling for Soup has a song about that....)

(I'm not counting Kayne either because a) I've never heard a note of his music and b) I think his a big git).

Viola said...

So, a big thumbs down for Kayne West. We've had it on good authority that Arctic Monkeys are worth a listen though, so we thought we'd give them a try (ie. buy their album). I'll let you know what I think once I've had a listen.

Anonymous said...

The Arctic Monkeys album is one of the best albums of recent years I think. Excellent use of words like 'scumbag', 'git' etc. references to Some Mothers Do Ave Em, the stupidity of bouncers etc. Sort of like a cross between Pulp and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers - if you can imagine such a thing. It was the fastest selling debut album ever in the UK - selling 350,000 copies in the first week (including one from me).