Sunday, November 02, 2008

Nooooooooooooo!

I just found out that Billy Bragg played at Duke last night. He was practically on our doorstep and we didn't even know! I took a look at his website and it turns out that he's not back in the USA until March 2009. Even then, he's only going to Austin, Texas and New York City. Is there no justice in the world?

You can read about the gig on Akma's blog.

My attempt to cheer myself up (or does it just rub salt into the wound?) is to incessantly YouTube some of my favourites. Mark, unfortunately, is inconsolable. The first clip is one of Kate Nash singing Foundations that segues into her singing A New England with Billy Bragg. The second clip is an old video of Sexuality that includes Johnny Marr, Phill Jupitus and the late, great, Kirsty MacColl (who was excellent when I saw her live at The Junction in Cambridge (UK) all those years ago).



2 comments:

AKMA said...

Well, at least you'll have a chance to see Billy again; I'll never have the opportunity to see Kirsty.

Bill did make a point of singing Kirsty's verse of "A New England," and in conversation afterward emphasized his continuing sadness concerning her death. "It's the least I can do to honor her."

Bill Cummings said...

Nooooooooo is right! I would have definitely been there! He's one of muy old time favorites (from high school days... which is dating myself). Thanks for creating a wound AND rubbing salt in it!